This looks fun.
My Two Blessings has started a blog for reading Science Fiction – Mind Voyages (cool name).
It’s a great challenge for 2010 and I’m going to join. I was fascinated to see how many of the books I’ve already read.
Moon Voyage : Read at least 6 winners on the Hugo Winners List
- 2001 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – J. K. Rowling
- 1999 To Say Nothing of the Dog – Connie Willis
1987 Speaker for the Dead – Orson Scott Car d
1986 Ender’s Game – Orson Scott Card
- 1967 The Moon is a Harsh Mistress – Robert A. Heinlein
- 1966 Dune – Frank Herbert
1962 Stranger in a Strange Land – Robert A. Heinlein
- 1954 Retro Award from 2004 Fahrenheit 451 – Ray Bradbury
- 1951 Retro Award from 2001 Farmer in the Sky – Robert A. Heinlein
Sling shot back to Earth: Read at least 3 winners on the Nebula Winner’s List
- 1990: Tehanu, The Last Book of Earthsea – Ursula K. LeGuin
- 1986: Speaker for the Dead – Orson Scott Card
- 1985: Ender’s Game – Orson Scott Card
- 1965: Dune – Frank Herbert
Venus Voyage: Philip K. Dick Quest – Read at least 2 of his books
I don’t think I’ve ever read any. I’ll have to fix that.
Mercury Voyage: Robert Heinlein Quest – Read at least 2 of his books
I did the whole Heinlein thing years ago. Then last year I read four of his early juvenile novels and have 8 more to read.
- 1947 Rocket Ship Galileo
- 1948 Space Cadet
- 1949 Red Planet
- 1950 Farmer in the Sky, (Retro Hugo Award, 1951)
- 1958 Have Space Suit—Will Travel
- 1958 Methuselah’s Children
- 1961 Stranger in a Strange Land
- 1966 The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
- 1973 Time Enough for Love
- 1984 Job: A Comedy of Justice
- 1985 The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
Mars Voyage: Read at least 6 winners on the Hugo List and take a side trip through the 21st century and read at least 4 nominees.
I’ve read 2!
- 2000 Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
- 2000 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling
Go into Warp Drive and visit the other planets
Jupiter Voyage: Go side tripping 90’s Style
- 1992 Xenocide by Orson Scott Card
- 1990 Prentice Alvin by Orson Scott Card
Saturn: Go Side Tripping 80’s Style
- 1989 Red Prophet by Orson Scott Card
- 1988 Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card
- 1985 Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein
- 1984 Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
Uranus: Go Side Tripping 70’s Style
- 1977 Children of Dune by Frank Herbert
- 1974 Time Enough for Love by Robert A. Heinlein
Neptune Voyage: Go Side Tripping through the 50’s and 60’s
- 1966 The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein
- 1959 Have Spacesuit – Will Travel by Robert A. Heinlein
- 1951 retro nominee from 2001 The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis
- 1946 retro award from 1996 That Hideous Strength (alt: The Tortured Planet (1958 US)) by C. S. Lewis
The Voyage I’m choosing – because I love the title of the voyage and because I have some from each list that I want to explore.
The I’m going to Pluto because Pluto is still a planet as far as I’m concerned Voyage: Mix it up, choose the number of books you want to read from each voyage, include some new books you pick up along the way and enjoy the ride.
Philip K Dick:
- 1968 – Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Adapted for the motion picture “Blade Runner”
Hugo Award Winners:
I see a lot more by Connie Willis that I want to try including Passage, Blackout, and Remake.
From the ’80s I’m picking this one. My maiden name is Pope and this is an author I’ve never even heard of.
- 1982 Project Pope by Clifford D. Simak